Expectations are an easy-come-easy-go situation. When you look forward to something, it often times has to be better than your expectations. Aliens holds a lot of expectations. It has influenced gaming since gaming was new. So whenever a rumor of a new Alien game surfaces, expectations start expecting.
It’s almost unfair. Colonial Marines never really had a chance. I picked up my copy at the store for around 9 bucks. When I brought it to the register I said “I was waiting for it to drop below $10 so it would be worth the money.” The clerk's stale response was “It still isn't.”
I didn't play Colonial Marines right away. It sat in stack among other games waiting for me to get an Alien itch that needed scratching. he recent release of Isolation gave me that itch.
I didn't play Colonial Marines right away. It sat in stack among other games waiting for me to get an Alien itch that needed scratching. he recent release of Isolation gave me that itch.
Colonial Marines started off with dull graphics, that cannot be denied. However, I was surprised by the environment design, and how true the game kept to the Alien feel. To the guns and ship design, the ambiance of the lighting, this game felt like Aliens. Sound was perfect as well, with jarhead marines spewing nonsense over an intercom. The guns gave off their iconic riffs of audio as well. Even through dull textures, this was Aliens.
Gameplay was bog standard. Expected controls for any shooter. Run of the mill doesn't mean bad. It controlled competently and everything functioned how it should. Enemies hide behind cover and try to flank you. The aren’t the brightest, but sometimes manage to elude bullets all the same. Nothing is too hard to kill. Most enemies will go down with a few bursts of fire. Aliens themselves die with a shotgun burst or two.
I think what I liked most about the game was the story. Sure it didn’t take too many risks, but the locations you visited all felt authentic. As the game progressed I never got tired of waiting to see where I’d be taken next. What enemies they threw at me. The progression from location to location based on story progress felt organic. The cast of characters were as thick-headed and throw-away as their counterparts in the film Aliens.
Aliens is not my favorite film in the franchise (I am an avid supporter of Alien 3.) Despite that fact I still enjoyed the game. It really captured the action/shooter vibe the film had going for it. Sure it had a glitch or two, but all-in-all the game performed adequately. The gameplay functioned properly, with nice controls and movement. The story plugged along, and even had me emotionally attached by the end. Graphics leave a bit to be desired, but the design of the game is top notch. I would recommend the game to any fan of the Alien franchise. I enjoyed it.
Gameplay was bog standard. Expected controls for any shooter. Run of the mill doesn't mean bad. It controlled competently and everything functioned how it should. Enemies hide behind cover and try to flank you. The aren’t the brightest, but sometimes manage to elude bullets all the same. Nothing is too hard to kill. Most enemies will go down with a few bursts of fire. Aliens themselves die with a shotgun burst or two.
I think what I liked most about the game was the story. Sure it didn’t take too many risks, but the locations you visited all felt authentic. As the game progressed I never got tired of waiting to see where I’d be taken next. What enemies they threw at me. The progression from location to location based on story progress felt organic. The cast of characters were as thick-headed and throw-away as their counterparts in the film Aliens.
Aliens is not my favorite film in the franchise (I am an avid supporter of Alien 3.) Despite that fact I still enjoyed the game. It really captured the action/shooter vibe the film had going for it. Sure it had a glitch or two, but all-in-all the game performed adequately. The gameplay functioned properly, with nice controls and movement. The story plugged along, and even had me emotionally attached by the end. Graphics leave a bit to be desired, but the design of the game is top notch. I would recommend the game to any fan of the Alien franchise. I enjoyed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment