The last game I played that was new to me was Aliens: Colonial Marines. I remember playing it. I can recall some cutscenes and story elements. Even many of the rooms and firefights come to my mind. I reloaded multiple dozens of times, and killed many enemies. I remember this. This is gameplay. These are the mechanics that made up the game. This separates games from other media.
So we are all aware that games are an amalgamation of mechanics and story. However, the two have issues being married. Mechanics are interactive. The repeat and players master them. It can be jarring to be pulled out of the interactive experience and thrown into a cutscene or narrative piece, switching the game to a passive experience. I may be coming as saying I dislike cutscenes. I enjoy story elements as much as the next guy, maybe even more. It’s because of this, that I want to see games go further. I want to see more.
![]() |
| Metal Gear Solid 5 - From Gamespot |
Each media has its ups and downs. They have strengths. It has been an increasing trend in videogames to try and be movies. To get the cinematic feel. I feel this is the wrong direction to take. Because games have something different, something integral. They have interactive mechanics. Games can change, they can be breathing and living. A switch to passive experiences, with long winded cutscenes and actors may not be the best option for playing into the strength of gaming. Games like Minecraft can tell a story based on mechanics. Based on change. The world is crafted and created by the player, and reflects who the player is. Bioshock: Infinite, while amazing, cannot ever change. The same thing will happen every playthrough; the same hallways, the same twists.
I think we can step away from this. Games are getting bigger and pricier. If instead however, we make smaller games. Games with solid mechanics that show and reflect the player, we can start moving games towards their true potential. Imagine instead of an open world city, a house. One house with excruciating detail. In this house are two or three NPCs. Every action the player commits, affects the actions of the NPCs. They can form opinions and ideas on the player. The player would form their opinions of any NPC based on how they are treated, and would treat the NPC accordingly. It would simulate true relationships. As this idea evolved, so would its scale and depth. This has been tried on larger and simpler scales of course in games like inFamous or Fable. But I believe the scale was too large to have the impact really hit home. The narrative was lost on the player who was lost in the mechanics.
The mechanics have to be the narrative. The mechanics have to create the narrative. By starting smaller scale projects that give players direct control over the environment, and truly reflect every individual would truly set games apart. It can be done.Long winded cutscenes are not necessary, and they hold games back. Let games be truly interactive. Let’s see more effort to intertwine gameplay and narrative truly. Pull back and use a smaller scale. Perfect the technique.
For more on this subject:
Extra Credits - Digging Deeper - Do Games Have Less Value than Other Media?

No comments:
Post a Comment